This update is significant because they’re addressing the few performance problems I’ve mentioned in my Mastering On1 Photo RAW 2018 video series. Furthermore, they’re adding a number of additional features that should prove to be invaluable.
On1 states that this update will come with a significant performance boost that will be evident across the Browse, Develop, and Effects modules. Switching between modules and flipping through images in the filmstrip should allow them to render near instantaneously. There also should be a performance boost when using any brush.
A LUT filter will be added to the Effects module. A Look Up Table, or LUT, allows you to add many stylized expressions to your image. The LUT filter will come preloaded with several LUTs plus you’ll have the opportunity to add your own or any LUTs purchased from a third party. Many of you know that I have two packs of LUTs for Luminar. Those LUTs will work with the new On1 LUT filter as well!
Many of you have emailed me asking if On1 Photo RAW 2018 supports OEM camera profiles. Those are the profiles that come with your camera. For example, Fuji users know them as Film Simulations such as Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome and several others. Unfortunately, On1 doesn’t recognize any OEM camera profiles but the good news is, this update will! I know of several photographers that wouldn’t switch to On1 because of their lack of Camera Profile support. When this update is released, those folks will be all set.
Try It For Yourself
On1 offers a fully-working, non-crippled, 30-day demo of On1 Photo RAW 2018. CLICK HERE or on the banner above to try it out for free. Unlike Lightroom, there is NO SUBSCRIPTION. If you decide you like it and want to buy it, you own it and will not have to worry about any monthly payments.
If you do buy, use the link above or CLICK HERE and use my discount code, AM17, to save an additional 20%.
Full Disclosure: I am an affiliate for On1 Software. Please read my Code of Ethics Statement — CLICK HERE.
Once you download your demo copy, watch my video series, Mastering On1 Photo RAW 2018, located above, to learn everything about the software and become an On1 Photo RAW 2018 Master!
You may also want to purchase my On1 Effects Presets to achieve many stylized looks to your images. CLICK HERE to find out more.
Quick List of Improvements Included in this Update
ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 includes:
• Camera Profiles
• LUTs in Effects
• Improved Brushing Performance
• Faster culling in Filmstrip
• Transform Tool Improvements
• Faster Transitions Between modules
• RAW+JPG sorting options
• Nested Albums
• Out-of-Process Cataloging
• Background Export
• Nested Presets
• New Cameras & Lenses
On1 Software’s Official Press Release
ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 – Coming this June
Portland, OR – May 10, 2018 – Today, ON1, Inc. announces the new ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5, a significant update to Photo RAW 2018. Version 2018.5 will include a massive boost in overall performance, fixes for user reported issues, and new key features such as LUTs and camera profiles.
“We’re incredibly excited to unveil the new features in ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 over the next several weeks. We plan on showcasing the new features and improvements through weekly videos leading up to the June release,” says ON1 President, Craig Keudell.
Key Features and Improvements
- Camera Profiles – Select the same looks you see on the back of your camera in ON1 Photo RAW. Select from Natural, Portrait, Landscape, etc. depending on what your camera offers. These are not presets as they don’t adjust any of the sliders, and are non-destructive. These will include popular cameras like Fujifilm®.
- LUTs in Effects – LUTs or Look-Up Tables are a favorite way to add matte, vintage or cinematic color grading looks. These will be available inside Effects in version 2018.5. A ton of LUTs will be available in the release along with individual packs from Matt Kloskowski, Tamara Lackey, and Hudson Henry. The common .3DL and .CUBE formats found online can be imported into Photo RAW. LUTs will work like any of the current filters in Effects. You can stack them, mask them and control the blending options.
- RAW+JPG – If you shoot RAW and JPG at the same time, you will be able to collapse and hide the JPG copy, so your library isn’t cluttered. Any metadata or file changes you make are mirrored to the JPG seamlessly.
- Faster Film Strip for Culling – Using the Filmstrip in Develop and Effects will be just as fast as in Browse. You will be able to switch photos instantly! You can even perform your editing and culling tasks, like ratings, labels, rotate and delete, while you are adjusting your raw processing.
- Transform Enhancements – The Transform pane in Develop will include new tools to correct perspective and rotation issues along with a new grid will make it easier to visualize results.
- Nested Presets – Ability to better organize presets into a nested category structure will be added along with the ability to move, rename, delete, and nest presets and categories.
- Nested Albums – Nest albums or photos inside of other albums. If you are migrating from Lightroom®, your nested collections are brought over by the Lightroom migration assistant.
- Improved Brushing Performance – Brushing with the Masking Brush will be more fluid and responsive, especially on Windows computers with large or high-dpi displays.
- Export Improvements – Exporting will be processed in the background so customers can continue to work on another job without having to wait for the export to finish. You can even stack multiple export jobs and continue working on your photos.
- Performance Boost & Increased Stability – Significant under the hood speed and stability improvements are coming in 2018.5. These include speedier switching of modules between Browse, Develop, and Effects along with switching and culling photos using the film strip in Develop and Effects.
- New Cameras & Lenses – Each update includes new cameras and lenses. The list is continuously updated, and we will share the final details when version 2018.5 is released.
ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 Exposed
Each week ON1 will be adding videos showcasing the new features and improvements available in version 2018.5. Get a sneak peek of the new camera profiles, new LUTs, and overall performance improvements at www.on1.com/exposed.
Price and Availability
ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 will be available this June. New customers can purchase version 2018.1 today and receive 2018.5 as a free update once it becomes available. ON1 is running an introductory price of $99.99 for new customers for a limited time (Reg: $119.99). Owners of previous versions of ON1 can also upgrade at an introductory price of $79.99 (Reg: $99.99). Version 2018.5 is a free update for all owners of ON1 Photo RAW 2018. A single purchase of ON1 Photo RAW will include both Mac and Windows installers and activation for up to five computers. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, world-class customer support, hundreds of free video tutorials, and free ON1 Loyalty Rewards every month.
About ON1 Photo RAW
ON1 Photo RAW is the only photo editor designed by photographers for photographers. ON1’s unique community-driven development approach via The Photo RAW Project gives customers a voice in how it’s designed, allowing users to submit ideas and vote on new features. The majority of new features and updates in version 2018.5 have come as a result of the Photo RAW Project. With fast photo organizing, hundreds of customizable photo effects, powerful masking tools, LUTs, Camera Profiles, HDR, panos, layers, and other Lightroom and Photoshop®-like features, Photo RAW is the ultimate all-in-one photo editor and raw processor with no subscription.
ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 isn’t just for raw files. It also supports JPEG, TIF, PSD, PSB, PNG, and DNG are supported and benefit from the speed, performance, and abundance of editing tools in the app. Photo RAW 2018.5 will continue to work seamlessly within current photography workflows. The app will integrate as a plug-in for Adobe® Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC. Like the current version, Photo RAW 2018.5 will integrate with the major cloud services to allow for uploading, managing, and editing photos across multiple computers. This enables users to sync photos and their edits across multiple computers or in a studio setting.